Original design introduced in 2014 – The RealitySoSubtle 4×5 is an ultra-wide angle flat plane tri-pinhole camera with central and rise pinholes/shutters on both horizontal and vertical orientations – uses 4×5 sheet film or paper.
0.3mm0.2mm precision laser drilled pinholes, 38mm35mm focal length. Aperture = f/127f/175 Pinhole material thickness = 50 microns (.002″).
- 3 separate pinholes and independant magnetic shutters. One central and 2 ‘rise’ pinholes for fun perspective effects (both offset 31mm from centre).
- Accurate bubble levels for both portrait and landscape orientations.
- Tripod mounts for both portrait and landscape orientations.
- Accurate sight lines engraved into the wood for ease of composition.
The ‘Rise’ pinholes
Using either of the rise pinholes adds two effects to your image:
- There is a straightening effect on diverging verticals – this is especially useful for shooting buildings
- The horizon is shifted – this is nice if you are shooting with the camera level on the ground, you can achieve a more pleasing compostion having more ‘sky’ than ‘land’.
Here are some wonderful examples from James Thorpe – click on the image to see impressive large versions in flickr. Here’s a crop from the above to show the level of detail: Here’s an example shot with the central pinhole from George Scharnweber : Here’s a good example using the vertical rise pinhole from Vittorio Silingardi: These images were made by Chester Chen : This by Patrick T O’Reilly : This by John Grimson
Other film backs?
By using longer bolts for the rear locking beam various backs of different dpeths can be accomodated. Here’s a 4×5 with a Fuji instant back fitted.. (Email for details if you want to use a different film back.)
€150 + shipping. You can buy directly here.